Spiders

You can talk about anything here
waterdude

Spiders

Post by waterdude »

Hi Nauticus people,
A subject that causes me great frustration, SPIDERS on and in my boat. In the summer (if we get one) spiders and webs are all over my Nauticus 27, i wash it down and the next week they are all back. The worst thing is there pooh, little black spots that eat into the gel coat. If i keep cutting back the surface there will be no gel coat left. I've searched the web and tried all sorts, sprays, little bags of cedar shavings laced with lemon juice & tea tree oil, not much success ::). Does anyone else suffer with them ? Got any good brews or anti spider treatments. My best weapon is the 240v vacuum cleaner.
Cheers Keith
riverdance

Spiders

Post by riverdance »

No idea how to keep spiders off the outside of the boat, but we use conkers on the inside. Just place 2-3 conkers in various places inside the boat, never yet seen a spider on one of them!

Think it's an old wifes tale.

One of our members wife refuses to go to the boat anymore because of the spider problem.

So, in short, try the conkers but it may only reduce the colony
Waterdude

Spiders

Post by Waterdude »

Never heard that one before ! But i'll try anything. Spoke to a couple on the Stratford canal last year who swore by a aerosol
they buy at there club. I was concerned about my expensive new window rubbers and curtains though, so didnt try it. ::)
Cheers Keith
watsmoor

Spiders

Post by watsmoor »

Hi All,
Just to let you all know that we are back in the UK now for the summer months ::). We have admired your winter from the sunnier climes of Tenerife.
I went to the boat this week and removed the winter covers. Engine started 1st go so winterizing must have been OK.
I have decided to replace the shower this spring as the previous plastic one is cracked so if anyone knows of a manufacturer of a 24" * 24* stainless steel shower tray tray, I would be pleased to hear.
Have a great summer
Watsmoor
riverdance

Spiders

Post by riverdance »

Welcome back. It's been shocking here (as you have probably seen) Our marina was frozen most of the time from a week before Christmas to about 4 weeks ago (that's when the last of it melted) so we didn't manage to do any winter cruising.
Have a good photo of two of our members sat on deckchairs in the middle of the marina, drinking a glass of wine! Ice was about 2 ft thick!
terrapin

Spiders

Post by terrapin »

Re the spiders..I bought some stuff through my club called spidergone..its from a french company and boy does it work.. small spray in corners and along edges and the blighters drop out like marines exiting a helicopter and die instantly. You have to be very liberal with it and use in vented conditions. Its expensive at around