Transa Drive Repair

You can talk about anything here
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

Hi Ray and Caroline,
Sorry to hear of your troubled journey.
I wouldn't jump to quickly to the conclusion that emulsified oil is your problem. It is after all a pretty good lubricant and coolant for the non critical situation in which it is being used.
My first check would be to remove the propeller. You will probably find that the cavity behind it is jammed solid with shredded plastic bags. After you have cleared these, you will probably find that you have several yards of nylon fishing line wrapped around your prop shaft which is jammed tight against the bearing. This will probably be the ingress point for the water.
All the best and happy boating
Watsmoor
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hello Watsmore

Many thanks for your feedback, it is much appreciated, I've also spoken to the guys at Chertsey Meads Marine, they sell spares for the Enfield Leg, they were very helpful and they suggested exactly the same problem after I explained everything that had happened and the fact the exhaust smoked more when we began to struggle which meant the engine was working under more load than it should of been.
I do feel at bit more at ease now though and am not as worried as I have been, I have arranged for Sapphire to be trailered out on Sunday so that I can take a good look at the leg and get the rudder off.
In doing the seals the guys at Chertsey Meads said the dreaded centre pin has to be removed when doing this and it can be quite awkward to get it back into place, but it does go eventually then it's just as case of rebuild the bottom part of the leg and seal it with silicone.
Has anyone carried out this repair, if so could you give me some idea as to how long it should take only as mentioned above I've arranged to get Sapphire out on a trailer whilst I carry out the repair then I can get her straight back in again when finished.

Ray
Last edited by cazray on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

Hi Ray,
Glad to be of some help. To remove the leg, follow the TransaDrive link, I put a post on there about 3 weeks ago on how to do it.
I would strongly recommend that you contact Mick ( see the link at the bottom of the website) and get a manual. Also contact Sillette-Sonic direct for any spares as they do manufacture them. They are listed on the INFO page..
All the best
Watsmoor
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hi Watsmoor

Thanks again, I have ordered the new Oilseal housing for the prop costing approx
Last edited by admin on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

Hi Ray,
No problem with Chertsey Meads, I have known Chris and Bev Sheilds personally for many years,
What is important is that when you adjust the gear linkage rod, just as the dog clutch is approaching reverse gear that the reverse lock pin extends about .125" otherwise the leg will ride up in reverse.
Hope this is of use
Regards
Phil Watson (Watsmoor)
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hi Phil

I have been told to make sure to engage reverse before removing the leg, was also going to mark the the cable with in order to get it back the same when refitting.

Ray
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hi Everyone

I managed to get Sapphire trailered out for the day yesterday for
Last edited by cazray on Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Hi Ray, I was just reading about your problems with the Transa-Drive, and you say you pulled a spring loaded pin to wind up the leg, could you tell me where this is please

this is the socket to wind up the leg, is the pin on here somewhere? you also say you drained the oil through the sump screw, where is that?

TIA, Kevin.
Last edited by woodsy on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hello Kevin (Woodsy)

If you look at your Outdrive from inside the boat you will find a flat ended pin approx half inch in diameter which is located roughly at the number 3 if you were looking at a clockface. You will need mole grips to pull it out and release the outdrive.

Secondly the sump plug, when your boat is out of the water try and clean all the gunk off first (you may need a wire brush) then stand looking at the prop at the back left hand side of the outdrive the opposite end to the prop on a slant approx 2 inches up the Skeg there is a screw,.... this is the screw that enables you to drain the oil from your outdrive,... DO NOT use the screw smack bang in the centre at the lowest point because this holds your outdrive together and I'm led to believe it's a nightmare trying to get everything back into place if you remove it which I can quite believe having seen what is inside.
Check the images on the manual, you can see the sump screw if you know where to look www.kdtrading.no/tradingshop/tekniskinfo/delebok_enfield.pdf

Hope that helps

Ray
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Thank you for your quick reply Ray, I am at the boat on Friday so I will give it another good looking at. My boat is out of the water at present so its all nice and clean no slime to clean off, Thanks again for the info.

Cheers, Kev.