Transa Drive Repair

You can talk about anything here
starkey

Transa Drive Repair

Post by starkey »

Hi All.
Just rebuilt the Transa Drive unit,complete top gears,and dog clutch. new oil seals on prop shaft. The forward and reverse gears were badly worn. Parts were bought from Plancraft.
fireman

Transa Drive Repair

Post by fireman »

Hi There Brian I am suffering the same problems with IZI ELL have changed the gear lever and cables but still cant get full power on both Forward and Reverse and am experiencing said clunking and lifting of the drive.

Information would be greatly appreciated Thanking You in Anticipation Alan email mini35se@yahoo.co.uk
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Hi Starkey, I have one of these units on my boat. The steering is very stiff, can you tell me if it is easy to get the unit seperated from the transom mount and is the shaft that it swivels on removeable, any help gratefully received.

TIA, Kev
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

Hi Kev,
From memory, it is not to bad.
Disconnect the gear shift cable.
Undo the clips holding the rubber bellows on the steering linkage and the shaft drive. Disconnect the steering linkage inside the top bellows. Undo thr 2 allen screws holding the pivot shafts and while supporting the leg, drive out the pivot shafts outwards as far as is needed. If they have been greased regularly, it wont be a problemOmce these sre removed, you remove the leg from the universal coupling on the drive shaft.
Sillette-Sonic Ltd still hold manuals and most spares.
Their contact number is 02083309014
Good luck.
Watsmoor
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

A couple of points. It isdefinately an out of the water job and drain the oil first
Watsmoor
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Thanks for the input, Luckily my boat is sat on a trailer at the moment, drain the oil first you say, is the drain plug for the oil under the skeg? as I dont seem to be able to find a drain plug. I have a manual from this site but it is written for people who know what they are doing I think, and that is not me!! my last boat had an outboard.

Thanks Again, Kev.
Last edited by woodsy on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Oh, and another thing inside the boat where the engine shaft joins the transa-drive there is a socket at the top of the housing that takes a bar with a pin through the bar ( like a starting crank from an old car) to locate in the socket, does anyone know what this is ??

Cheers, Kev.
watsmoor

Transa Drive Repair

Post by watsmoor »

Hi Kev,
There should be a hole in the deck above socket that takes a rod like a starting hande with a crank in it. This for winding the leg up. The leg comes up to about 105 degrees - just over parallel to the water. If your leg comes up to starboard, you can wind the leg up, remove the filler plug drain into a large funnel other wise remove the top of the housing with a large bowl under to catch the oil
Regards
Phil
woodsy

Transa Drive Repair

Post by woodsy »

Thanks Phil you have been a great help, I owe you one.

Regards, Kev.
cazray

Transa Drive Repair

Post by cazray »

Hi Everyone

We moved Sapphire from Oundle marina to Peterborough yacht club on the river Nene over the weekend, it is approx a 10 hour cruise which we planned on doing over two days stopping off at the Queens Head in Nassington overnight before continuing our journey to our new moorings in Peterborough on Sunday.
We rang the Queens Head to book in advance, we also went down to have a look at their nice new moorings prior to leaving Oundle and noticed two other cruisers, one at the pub and one at a neighbouring house, we were told we would receive a nice warm wellcome with no cost to moor up if we used their facilities which we had every intention of doing.
When trying to gain access to the Queens Head at 6.15pm on Saturday we noticed it was not very deep and there was quite a lot of silt around so we decided to stop and reverse back out onto the main stretch of river and then try to find somewhere else to moor up for the night, however we got stuck and overheated the engine which in turn done something to the alternator (but I didn't find out about the alternator until later). We ended up using the anchor to turn the boat around in order to get over to the bank on the main part of the river. I then had to wade in up to my thighs to free up the Transa drive and check the oil to see if I had damaged it in any way,.... and yes it seems I had as the oil was creamy.
By now it was 9.15pm and some three hours had passed before I managed to get Sapphire started again, we very carefully and slowly got moving towards Yarwell, but were then passed by three cruisers full of pirates,..... (yes seriously) a group of around 16 lads were on a stag weekend and they very kindly took us under their wing so to speak and let us moor up along side them at Yarwell with an invitation to join them at the local Angel pub once we'd got cleaned up a little,.. it did turn out that one of the pirates was in fact the pub landlord and the night didn't turn out too bad in the end although we still had the problem of getting to Peterborough which was still some 4 hours away on the river.
The following morning at around 8am it turned out that the alternator had stopped working after we overheated so I had had no charge going into the batteries, in other words they were flat as a pancake,.... one of the pirates gave us a jump start and we then carried on our journey as the outdrive seemed ok if we took our time. After a short while though I noticed that we started to slow down almost to a standstill, but with the same revs in the engine so we had no choice but to stop.
We were unable to turn the engine off as there were no amps coming from the alternator to charge the batteries so after about half an hour we tried moving again and to my surprise everything seemed ok again and we got moving, however approx half an hour later we again slowed to a standstill, but we managed to get as far as Water Newton Lock, we managed to get through the lock, moor up the other side then we decided to wait for a Knight in Shining Amour to come to our rescue or in our case a Pirate !!
After about an hour or so one of the pirates a guy called Steve who we moored up alongside at Yarwell and who gave us a jump start was on his way back to Stanground which was further on from Peterborough, but by now Steve had been joined by his wife who's name I can not remember, but they managed to get us back to Peterborough and we finally got there at 4pm some 8 hours after we left Yarwell.
We got moored up then bought Steve and his good lady a drink in the clubhouse to say thank you for all their help in getting us to our new moorings at Peterborough Yacht Club.
So now over the next couple of weeks I'm going to have to get the Transa drive fixed before going out again,.... I know I'm going to need new seals as I know water has got into the unit, but It seemed strange that we could cruise for a short distance before coming to a standstill so dear Nauticus members any ideas !!! Has the unit just overheated or could it be something else.
Any feedback would be grately appreciated.

Ray and Caroline

ps I'm told now that we've broke down we can call ourselves proper boaters.