A mystery noise

You can talk about anything here
soapy

A mystery noise

Post by soapy »

I wonder if anyone can solve a little mystery for us?

We had some early problems with gear cable linkage on 'Our Eden' which have been solved but there remains a mystery 'clunk'. We have twice now tried to increase revs as far as possible under way. Only momentarily I hasten to add - not trying to break speed records or anything like that! When the rev counter gets to about 1800rpm there is a fairly loud 'clunk' followed immediately by a decrease in speed.

I assume Watermota engines are de-rated in some way so as not to exceed a lower than usual rev limit anyway, but, how does it work? Is it a governor that cuts in at higher revs? Is that our mystery 'clunk'? Incidentally the engine carries on quite happily after dropping back to tickover type revs.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Soapy (Our Eden)
riverdance

A mystery noise

Post by riverdance »

I've often found that any strange noise seems to dissapear when the wife goes into the galley to make a brew

Can't help with the clunk on your engine. I asked our other Naticus owner who has the same engin as yours but he knew of no reason why you should be getting it other than perhaps a flywheel problem.
soapy

A mystery noise

Post by soapy »

I sincerely hope it isn't Riverdance - I don't want to get involved with something that deep. I've already given up with trying to get the tuning right and have handed it over to the marina to sort out.

Lucky you, with the mysterious noise elimination system, Rita won't have anything to do with gas and flame unless I light it - more's the pity.

OurEden
cazray

A mystery noise

Post by cazray »

Hi Soapy

I tend to be quite hands on with a lot of things and the problem you have explained with Our Eden sounds very strange, but I wouldn't say it was engine related going by what you have said, in fact I would look along the lines that you may still have a problem with the gear box or the gear linkage because that's what controls the speed or the revs of the engine. If the problem was in the engine I wouldn't of thought it would decelerate, but keep going and then cause more damage.
You could (but don't quote me) have something loose or worn in the gear linkage or the gearbox itself that only comes to light when the engine is running at higher revs putting an increase in pressure from the engine to the gear linkage or the gearbox.

Like I say don't quote me on this I am only guessing, but it does add up so please let me know how you get on.

Good Luck !!

Ray
fireman

A mystery noise

Post by fireman »

Hi There I recently had / still have a similar problem. the drive was vibrating out of the water at high revs and the marina engineer tinkered with the accelerator cables and got it somewhere near right in Forward but still knocks and lacks power in Reverse. It all appears to stem from the cables and it would appear to be a total hit and miss approach as to the optimum position for both Forward and Reverse. Any other observations and/or remedies would be greatly appreciated Thanks Alan
cazray

A mystery noise

Post by cazray »

Ok, so if and I say if this problem is down to the accelerator cables and these boats do date back to the 70's could the cables of stretched over the years.
riverdance

A mystery noise

Post by riverdance »

Indeed they do, and fray and snap and jam up. Keep them well oiled and greased. I have a problem with the outdrive release cable which is firmy jamed up....can't move it an inch so I need to find a way of replacing it without going to the expence of lifting her out :-/
cazray

A mystery noise

Post by cazray »

Hi Riverdance

I don't want to stray away from the topic of mystery noise, but would you be able to work on your outdrive release cable if you moored up in the slipway at your marina, I did this at Oundle earlier in the year when the weather was nice so that I could do a couple of little jobs. Anyway I just rolled up my trousers and wore an old pair of trainers in the shallow water.
I was also really carefull about how far back I went so I didn't catch my prop on the concrete.

Ray
soapy

A mystery noise

Post by soapy »

Hey there Riverdance,

A bit like Sapphire I found it fairly easy to work on the cable, etc. from in the water - I just did it where she was moored. Only about 3'6" to 4'0" deep so I got hold of a pair of chest waders (about
soapy

A mystery noise

Post by soapy »

I should have mentioned above that I think I have solved my 'clunk'.

The timing was a little out but most important the weights in the distributor were not doing their job. They are supposed to fly out under centrifugal force to advance the timing with higher revs. I dismantled it at home loosened everything up, oiled it and put it back together (and re-tuned it, of course). The 'clunk' is no longer there and I can now get 2500 revs easily under load.

We are taking her out for a weeks cruise starting Wednesday, so I sincerely hope I've cured it, anyway.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Soapy (Our Eden)