Just (supposed to be) cruisin'

You can talk about anything here
soapy

Post by soapy »

It's me again,

I just thought I'd update on our 'little' problem with 'Our Eden'. Having replaced the gear lever and Morse cable end connection, mentioned elsewhere, I had some bother trying to get the positioning or tension of the cable correct so as to select gear at all. It took a couple of hours mucking about, tighten it a bit, loosen it a bit, tighten it a bit more, loosen it a bit again, etc, etc - until I decided to have a lookee at the control lever, and how it works.

There is a thingee inside that allows selection of forward or reverse then extends into further throttle. This was the current problem. Someone at sometime had managed to damage the cogged arrangement that engages the gears so the re-engagement of neutral became almost impossible. I mended it, after a bit cursing and not a little blood spilled in libation only to have it disengage the very next time we went out for a sail. Boy, that was fun!

We were just about to turn into Moons Bridge Marina when a cross-wind decided to play with us forcing me to need reverse - ping!!! We drifted aimlessly across the canal unable to engage forward or reverse straight into a bunch of reeds/weeds that prevented us getting onto the towpath! All this in full sight of anyone in the marina - only, there was no one in the marina, mid-week you see. First it took half an hour to finally get off onto the bank. We were now stuck on a lee shore with no means of propulsion, just the width of the canal away from our destination.

Oh, the indignity of it, we hailed a passing canoeist who obliged by taking a forward mooring line across and pulling us bow first into the entrance where we were able to take over and man-handle (or woman-handle) the boat into her berth. The canoeist, duly repaid with quick cup of coffee, went on his way while we settled down to once again to removing the control from the console to check that this mishap had indeed been caused by the same parts slipping.

What I didn't mention was that this was now the third time - guess what? It shouldn't happen again - we ordered a new controller!!

The boating malarkey is fun, isn't it? I'm hoping that this is the only major problem we have for a while as I'd really like to go sailing, not sit in the marina repairing the d**n thing.

Rita and David (our Eden)
lyndel

Post by lyndel »

Welcome to the world of boating!!
It,s not all bad though and unlike motoring you will always find that there is somebody that will offer a hand.
We have just had a weekend on lyndel and whilst we were there we thought that we would remove the windscreen wiper,on the starboard side, as it wasn't working.
Does anybody know where you can get toughened glass cut!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ??? :'( ::)
Well we were going to make a new folding windscreen, out of hardwood so it matches the mast and horn plate,in the closed season so I guess that we will have to start making it a bit sooner.
Oh for the season when all the jobs are done so we can just sit, drink wine and enjoy the sunny weather lol.
Cheers Derek & Lyn
Last edited by lyndel on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
soapy

Post by soapy »

Ahoy Lyndel,

Getting toughened glass cut is a definite no-no, I'm afraid. Ordinary glass has to be cut to the required shape, size, drilled, etc. then sent away for toughening afterward - any decent glazier should be able to do the cutting and send it away for toughening.

I haven't seen a hardwood screen frame - does it look good on Nautici? (anyone got a better plural and I'll use it - Nauticusses might be appropriate at times). Oh, and has anyone any idea what an original hardwood mast might have looked like?

Season to relax - I thought that particular season didn't have sunshine. By the time everything is done - it's winter! However, the glass of red sounds spot-on any time, Cheers!

Rita and David (Our Eden)

Happiness is a smooth running engine AND a full glass of wine!
lyndel

Post by lyndel »

Hello there David & Rita thanks for the reply, we are going to try and get a piece of laminated glass cut for the time being as this seems to be an easier option.
As for the wooden screen ,we have seen one fitted to a nauti but it was when we were looking for a boat to buy and cant remember on which one it was. But it did look good and suited the boat very well.
We made our own mast and got the pattern from looking at other masts on different boats,not just nautici,but if you want we will post a photo on here or send a couple to you via e,mail.
Cheers Derek & Lyn