The best improvements for a 27 ?

You can talk about anything here
pollyc

Post by pollyc »

Seems like we could do with stimulating a little conversation , so here's something to get your head round.

We own a 27ft Nauticus, and are into our third year of ownership. During that time, we've installed blown air heating, hot and cold water, battery management system, c-o-c-k-pit lighting, new upholstery, curtains and carpets, a new instrument panel, 2 canopies (there's a story there) and an extra table.

.... in addition to reconditioning the engine, re-sealing 4 of the windows and installing a fuel filter/water separator and a prop.

However I'm sure that there are some more good ideas we haven't yet thought of.

One thing I would like to get my head around, is a replacement hatch.

So my questions are ....

1. what are the best things that you have done to your Nauticus (and how) ?
2. What wouldn't you try to do again (and why) ?
3. Have you any tips for the hatch replacement (ideally with a fly-screen included).

I look forward to your replies

(a very broke) PollyC
Last edited by pollyc on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazyoldriverer

Post by lazyoldriverer »

I think it would be easy to get carried away with "Improvements", and in Housing Developing terms, it could be over developed.

If you are on the canals, then a Webasto, or Equivalent Hot Air Heater Makes Sense.

stopping Leaking Windows and replacing a poor Canopy will help keep, the Sale Price Maintained.

As for the Hatch if you Email Mick F he has some plans for a DIY replacement.

So do you want to remove the forward double to install Plasma TV?

I think that you have probably done what you need to, with the exception of the replacement hatch.

On mine I have lost one table and it is now a Storage cupboard (Under Bunk), I did consider trying to see if I could make it a convertible Cupboard/Table/Bunk but the Table/Leg bit of the fittings has long since gone missing.

Full marks to you for stimulating conversation on the site
pollyc

Post by pollyc »

We've done the same with the starboard bunk - we now use it as a sofa during the day, with storage underneath. Haven't boxed it in though.

I hear what you are saying about 'over development', however I do believe that the boat is for us (not any potential future owners), and given the price we actually paid for her, the money we've spent getting her up to our spec, is matched by her current valuation. Apart from anything else - I'm a typical bloke, I enjoy tinkering ! I do need to work harder on the gel coat though - it is in need of some attention, especially the blue.

As for the Plasma ..... well I have a flat screen TV on the wardrobe wall, facing forward. A great way to watch the odd DVD when it's raining, or at night, stretched out on my sofa, malt whisky in my hand ........ ;)
Last edited by pollyc on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazyoldriverer

Post by lazyoldriverer »

My blue is painted and quite good, it does clean up.

The Deck needs some Dilunet and a repaint
and the roof does show some Pattination from previous repairs (colour does not match) I have not yet found the courage to repair a finger tip sized blemish caused by I know not what Falling Brick or boat hook may be
pollyc

Post by pollyc »

We're still unpainted on the deck and hull (although I am tempted to do something about that).

There are several blemishes in the gel coat, currently being managed through a robust polishing regime, and a lack of close up photography !
jimfin

Post by jimfin »

We have JimFin about a year now and have done the following
Reupholsered everything.
Replaced interier lights and nav lights.
Replaced rubbers on front windows
Replaced crankshaft in watermota diesel
Fitted fridge on right side of thingypit
Planing new dash for thingypit
At the moment she just has 2 batterys serving engine and domistic. I plan to change this to 2 seperate systems.
The work never stops.
jeddunne

Post by jeddunne »

Hi geoff

I dont have a Nauticus, I have a freeman 23, Boo i can hear you all shouting , followed by "get on your own web site!" Ha ha.

Anyway, I am admirer of Nauticus and recently helped Mum and Dad buy a lovely 22 (Sweet Dreams moored next to me on the Farmers moorings after Bridge 72). They really are a top quality boat

Just thought i'd mention, that if you want a professional opinion on the gel coat, Alistair at brayzel at Bridgehouse can work wonders with gel coat and colour match.

Cheers Jed
pollyc

Post by pollyc »

Thanks Jed.
I've seen Alistair's work, it is very good.
Just need to save up a few pennies really.

Never mind about the Freeman though - someone has to own them, and you may never know, a Nauticus may come up for sale one day !

Geoff
jeddunne

Post by jeddunne »

Has anyone ever made a hardtop for their nauticus? It might be worth considering if a new canopy was due. I think it would be tricky to get it right using ply etc but once a fair design was made and a mould took off it they might prove popular. Not a big fan of home made hard tops but a GRP one in white i reckon could look really nice.
riverdance

Post by riverdance »

It