Boat horns

You can talk about anything here
lyndel

Boat horns

Post by lyndel »

Hi there,the new season is heading towards us fast and it is time to start thinking of sprucing Lyndel up a little bit.
On the roof of Lyndel we have a set of chrome plated trumpet style horns and would like to replace them with something smaller like the small round ones fitted to the top of Freeman boats.
We have been in touch with Freemans and have found,as usual,that this product is very expensive. So we were wondering if any of you good folk out there know of a similar product that costs less. We have seen some on ebay but they are squarer and the ones we want are the traditional round chrome type.
Also,have any of you painted the roof of your Nauticus? If so what make/type of paint did you use ,as Lyndel has had her roof painted in the past and it was very badly done and has started to flake off. :-[
Look forward to hearing from you.
Cheers Derek & Lyn ;)
lazyoldriverer

Boat horns

Post by lazyoldriverer »

Horns
there is
http://www.classic-car-accessories.co.uk/acatalog/12_volt_horns.html
As for paint if, she has already ben painted Dilunet to strip it, an undercoat and then the colour of your choice. I have been told a "Secret" is to add clear Yacht Varnish to the top coat but have not been given a "recipie".
riverdance

Boat horns

Post by riverdance »

I found this and thought it may be useful

http://www.ybw.com/ybw/reprints/pbo/topcoat.html
lyndel

Boat horns

Post by lyndel »

Thanks Riverdance,that is a very helpful link.
It looks like we will be going down the twin pack route,when the snow goes!!!!!!
Cheers Derek & Lyn
soapy

Boat horns

Post by soapy »

Re-awakening this thread for a moment. We also need to replace horns or klaxon as they are badly corroded. We have a pair of klaxon which would look great and seem more in keeping with the original feel but, previous owners have obviously swapped different arrangements over the years and the roof is dotted with holes in a variety of places and finally covered with hardwood that now needs replacing as well.

So, does anyone know what is under the GRP on the roof, is there wood or ply reinforcement that can be screwed into? I would prefer to get rid of the mess of holes and re-instate the klaxons directly if that was how it was done.

David (Soapy) 'Our Eden'
lyndel

Boat horns

Post by lyndel »

Hi there David, we have just fitted a mast (home made out of mahogany and it looks great) to lyndel and we found that there is a wooden bearer that goes along the center of the roof. It is in the ridge that runs the lengh of the roof and is approx 2" X 1".
We found that to attach anything to the roof it was best to mount a hard wood plate to this bearer and then screw up from inside through the roof, which means no outside holes to leak through,then fit whatever you need to this.
Hope this helps. Cheers, Derek & Lyn

PS we found that a good tube of silicone helps to bed the plate down when you are ready to site it. :)
Last edited by lyndel on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
soapy

Boat horns

Post by soapy »

Thanks for that - that's most helpful!

I must admit I quite fancied a mast as well. I've seen plenty of different styles, designs and ideas but I think I like the traditional type with cutouts and a cross tree - they look quite tasty!!

David 'Our Eden'