Rubbing Strips

You can talk about anything here
tony christmas

Rubbing Strips

Post by tony christmas »

i have purchased a nauticus 27 this month and am looking 4 advice.i have remoed the top edge rubbing strake and am considering replacing it with rubber strakes instead,is that bad or should i try to replace as is .thanks 4 any reply.
lazyoldriverer

Rubbing Strips

Post by lazyoldriverer »

Hi Tony and welcome
I am sure the purist would say keep it to the original, I go along with waterdude, that the lower strakes are there to protect the GRP and need to be substantial. They also cant be changed/repaired while "Floating". The top edge you can get to and I see no reason why you cant use just rubber if that is your want, Dulcinea has a Rubber strake on top of the Wood Strake.
tony

Rubbing Strips

Post by tony »

mmm.decisions......i think im gonna replace with mahogany.i think the origanal would have been fixed with a single piece on the sides ,then 2 half stripes as it curves towards the bow.thanks 4 your reply,i need all the help i can get.
stenno978

Rubbing Strips

Post by stenno978 »

Hi,
In 2005 I fitted the middle and lower rubbing strakes on Golden Hawk (an all white Nauticus 27). Not going into too much detail, the new strakes were fitted with old reclaimed mahogany, good heavy stuff. Two years later, on inspection, the bottom strakes at the stern, were like weetabix, and replaced again. Last year, it was the turn of the top strake to be renewed, but again, on inspection of the lower strakes, showed slight familiar signs.
So, thinking it would be great for me to fit a type of strake that I wouldn