Engine Water Leak

You can talk about anything here
Winnie

Engine Water Leak

Post by Winnie »

On arrival at Upton today as I turned round the auto bilge pump kicked in which is always worrying upon inspection there is a leak running from the rear of the engine out of the casing where the flywheel would be. Two things sprang to mind. Head gasket or core plug. You can run your hand round the joint of the head gasket so I sort of ruled that one out. Also the oil is clean. So I think it is a core plug. Any ideas and if it is does the engine need to come out. Any help would be appreciated
riverdance

Engine Water Leak

Post by riverdance »

I think (having spoken to some of our engineers) that you are probably right and it is a core plug, however, ensure ther are no leaks from the flexy hoses from the engine and cooling system. It may also be wise to check the water system for the domestic water tank.

If it is the core plug, it may not need the engine to be removed, but it will have to be uncoupled from the mountings and moved forwards to facilitate the repair.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by riverdance on Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnie

Engine Water Leak

Post by Winnie »

Thanks for that Riverdance. We went down the option to remove the engine and all in all it took about 5 hours tops to do the job from top to bottom. Knowing what we know now it was the right thing to do it was the plug behind the flywheel. It would have been hard work to line the flywheel up with the unit in place. Anyway job done just remember to turn the fuel back on not nealy flatten the battery trying to start it "Dow"
bobcov

Engine Water Leak

Post by bobcov »

Tigger 11. I have the same problem and I guess it is the core plug. Where could I obtain a manual for the engine pre xflo. Can a novice like myself do this job. If not can anyone recommend a good mechanic in the Peterborough/Oundle area.
Winnie

Engine Water Leak

Post by Winnie »

Its a simple job to tap in the core plug the difficult bit is lifting the engine out but if you can do that its a doddle.
Tigger 11

Engine Water Leak

Post by Tigger 11 »

Next daft quwstion. Where do I purchase a core plug. I have managed to order a manual for the pre xflo engine from Freeman boats as they have the same engine. ???
lyndel

Engine Water Leak

Post by lyndel »

Hi there Tigger 11,you should be able to get a set of core plugs from your local car spares shop,not halfords.
It may be an idea to change them all while you have the engine out and save youself more problems further down the line.
Good Luck and maybe we will pass you on the Nene this year as we only a couple of locks down from you at Elton Boat Club.
Cheers and happy boating.
Derek & Lyn
Winnie

Engine Water Leak

Post by Winnie »

I got my core plugs off ebay cost about a fiver