Inverting experiences

You can talk about anything here
pollyc

Inverting experiences

Post by pollyc »

Hello all,

Following a trip to the boat jumble in Garstang this weekend, I have been seriously thinking about getting an inverter for PollyC.

We already have a battery management system installed, which ensures that our 2 110amp leisure batteries are kept in tip top condition whilst hooked up to shore power. We also have a separate 55amp starter battery alongside managed through the same piece of kit. Whilst under way, a 75amp alternator throws some juice back at them.

Now, it would be useful to have a 240volt supply for some occasions whilst under way. We have an 850watt combi-microwave, and a 240v LCD TV on board, and would like to be able to use them. We do have a 780watt generator, but don't like using this at night (because of the noise), and have trouble using it whilst under way !!

So thoughts have turned to an inverter. I am looking at a 150 watt model, which would be capable of running the kit above whilst the boat is moving. Once moored (and with the inverter turned off), I would intend to power the battery management system with the generator for a couple of hours, to top up the batteries before settling down for a quiet night. This would form part of our cruising routine for extended journeys.

So the question from me is "does enyone have any experience of using an inverter on their craft ?"

I understand that they will place a heavy drain on the batteries, but would be interested of just how big a drain that is likely to be. I'd also be keen to benefit from any other experiences that fellow boaters might have with this set up.

Finally (apart from the good advice to keep the starter battery out of the circuit) does anyone have any observations about the best way to make this work or any recommendations for particular pieces of kit ?

Thanks in advance

Geoff
lazyoldriverer

Inverting experiences

Post by lazyoldriverer »

Nowt to help you directly, I just have a small Inverter suitable to charge batteries etc for the hand Vac and Mobile phones etc.

As a rule of Thumb 12 Volt units are more efficient than 240 volt with Inverter.

And in another place there was great technical discussions that "Proved" a single big battery system was more efficient than multiple systems.

However ALL agreed on the need for a separate starter Battery, and if you have Diesel, make sure the Heater circuit is on the starter Battery. This allows you to start and then charge the Empty Domestic.

On Narrowboats with washing machines etc and Big Invertors to use Standard White Goods, sometimes have a second alternator to charge the Domestics, and also only use some Heavy duty appliances "While on the move"

Probably OTT for a Nauti
pollyc

Inverting experiences

Post by pollyc »

Mmm you're probably right... Thanks for your thoughts.
I've no intention of fitting a washing machine though :)

I'm still at the 'thinking about it' stage at the moment.
I just need to think through the pros and cons a bit more.

The starter battery is well protected by isolator, so that is one concern less. I suppose the question is "just how much would I use it ?"

Part of the challenge for me is to make it work. I think we would use the facilities if we had them. I've not had good experiences with 12 volt goods from my caravanning days. They don't seem to be made as well, nor are they as effective at doing the job.....

Each to their own I suppose