Eberspacher Heater

You can talk about anything here
jimfin

Eberspacher Heater

Post by jimfin »

Hi All
First of all a BIG thank you to Mike for setting this forum up for us nauticus owners.
I have an Eberspacher heater to fit to our JimFin, Jim & Finola = JimFin.
Have any of you guys fitted one to a Nauticus? And if so where did you route the air ducting too. Where have you got it coming out in the cabin?
At first I was thinking of having an outlet in or around the table area. But when I looked at how I would try and get the ducting to up to the outlet, it looked like a lot of hard work.
All sugestions welcome.
pollyc

Eberspacher Heater

Post by pollyc »

Hi JimFin

We don't have exactly the same heater as you< having fitted a Truma gas fired unit.

However with regards to the ducting, we have shortened the cabin door from the thingypit, by about 4-5 inches, and have the main vent coming trough the fiberglass step into the cabin. We also have a second vent into the thingypit for those cold winter cruises.

I gave up trying to get the ducting to the front of the cabin, as the ducting was difficult to route. However I do find the current arrangement works. The cabin heats up within about 5-10 minutes and remains at a good temperature throughout the whole time that the system is on.

Regards

Geoff (PollyC)

PS _ Any experience of knocking outlegs ?
Last edited by pollyc on Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazyoldriverer

Eberspacher Heater

Post by lazyoldriverer »

I have mused about adding a heater to Dulcinea, but as she is Thames based and winter cruising is always seriously limited, we just winterise her.

In Spring and Autumn we rely on the Central Heating, well the Oven is just off centre, but it is close enough.

The only area I could easily see for ducting was under the door front step, or through the galley to the Table/Storage on the galley side.

With especial regard to the Eberspacher, they do not like plain Red Diesel, and you would be advised to add a Diesel octane boosting additive Silkolene I believe. This was told to me by the Ettruria boat yard as they add an additive to thier Diesel making a higher price but stopping the moans from the residential boaters
Last edited by lazyoldriverer on Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pollyc

Eberspacher Heater

Post by pollyc »

Just reviewed my post ......
Wonder why I'm not allowed to use the word c-o-c-k-p-i-t.
The system keeps changing it to 'thingypit'.
I suppose it must be a cunning ruse to stop me using rude words !
Geoff
lazyoldriverer

Eberspacher Heater

Post by lazyoldriverer »

Just reviewed my post ......
Wonder why I'm not allowed to use the word c-o-c-k-p-i-t.
The system keeps changing it to 'thingypit'.
I suppose it must be a cunning ruse to stop me using rude words !
Geoff
Had a similar situation on another Forum cant say meet at the "thingy Turpin" Pub (Richard Turpin) if its not obvious
longreach

Eberspacher Heater

Post by longreach »

Just completed fitting one myself and have done exactly the same as Polyc. It works a treat
dccruiser

Eberspacher Heater

Post by dccruiser »

I have just bought a eberspacher d2 to fit into Nautianne , i was looking at fitting it in the seat locker galley side just before the curtains, one outlet to come out into the cental walkway and one passing up through the back of the tall locker outletting into the main bed area ( we generally have the double bed in the prow made up all the time and use the galley side seating as a sofa ( we have extra cusions to fit all the way round )
The other option is the opposite locker , then i could feed a third pipe to the shower room, but for the odd nightly visit to the toilet it hardly seems justifiable.
In keeping with b.s.c. regs i would then run the fuel pipe (in copper) out to the rear deck and mount an outboard tank in the seat locker to the right of the engine.
I looked at the possibility of shortening the cabin door and putting it in the hold under the step , but 2 things put me off the idea,
Firstly if i put it where the heat is needed , particularly in the bed area at night then once it is warm i can run it on its lowest setting , which will keep the noise down and will run it at 0.1 litres an hour! if it is under the door it will have to be on full burn for the heat to cover the distance... i have tested the theory with a 2 KW electric fan heater. I could heavily insulate to lessen the effect of the heat loss but it would make the boat unbearably warm in the summer.
The second reason for not mounting one on the hold is that although the exhaust would be lagged in accordance with the new b.s.c. rules it is still a heat source in a hold that could potentially have a build up of fuel or gas fumes if there was ever a leak ... not something that would help me sleep soundly at night!
It is of course possible to box one in there , but again how sure would you be of the gas or vapour integrity of a box ?
Maybe i exhibit a bit of overkill but i have put dozens of boats through their b.s.c. and i am hoping to do the examiners course next year , so i tend to think like an examiner already! If you look through the b.s.c. manual reference fuel near sources of heat it could actually be argued that there is a potential danger there which would result in a failure from a stringent examiner , particularly if your boat is fitted with a petrol watermota rather than a diesel engine.
Rick
jimfin

Eberspacher Heater

Post by jimfin »

Just completed fitting one myself and have done exactly the same as Polyc. It works a treat
Did you use an Eberspacher? If so any chance you could send me some pics of how its fitted.
riverdance

Eberspacher Heater

Post by riverdance »

I'll take some photos next week and post them. It was quite easy really.
riverdance

Eberspacher Heater

Post by riverdance »

Finaly got the photos, they're on my Flikr photograph web page. Feel free to look at the other photographs..........

link http://www.flickr.com/photos/26282832@N00/2320141517/sizes/l/

hope this works