Window Seals

You can talk about anything here
cazray

Window Seals

Post by cazray »

Hi Dolphin

I personally would leave the Kitchen and Toilet seals until last as they are the only ones on Sapphire that have no Aluminium frames so changing these would be quite difficult and very delicate.

Last year I replaced 1 of the front window seals after one of the kids fell against it, I read up first, but it still took me best part of 2 hours from start to finish with the beading being the most difficult and sore on the hands.

I was lucky that I had some rubber seal left by the previous owner of Sapphire, but recently I too have had to change the seals on the other windows, I read up again and also found a couple of instuction video's on youtube which were quite usefull.

I also got my rubber seals from Seals Direct because I wanted the glazing tool as already mentioned by jimfin.
I fitted the new seal, but cut it approx 2cm longer than required, then took it off again in order to put a bead of silicone sealant in the rubber seal before refitting. The silicone then keeps the seal in place and the glazing tool makes it really easy to fit the glass into the rubber.

Finally the beading :'(,.... what I did to lubricate was spray the recess of the window seal with a silicone spray which is cheap and eventually evaporates (so no mess,.. yay), you can then fit the beading in next to no time by using the glazing tool.

In total one front window took me on my own about an hour from removing window, cleaning off all the old sealant from the GRP and the aluminium frame on the glass before refitting.

I also managed to find another company where you can buy the rubber, and a little bit cheaper too, but not sure of the sizes required, it was:
http://www.bridgerubber.co.uk/acatalog/M04.Window_Rubber_And_Glazing_Seals.html

Finally, we are no longer selling Sapphire , we are too attached to her, but we are looking at mooring her closer to Peterborough in order to spend more time on her.

Ray & Caroline