Window Seals

You can talk about anything here
stevew

Window Seals

Post by stevew »

Hi All, I have a Nauticus 27. "Absconder"at Blackleach Marina on the Lancaster Canal. I am in the the process of changing the window seals as the existing rubbers are looking a bit sorry and do leak on occasion. In the Nauticus website George on Zappeterus kindly recommends the following Claytonrite window rubbers:
WR69 (main windows) 10mm x 5mm (8/9mm web) - 16.5 metres (53ft) - approx
jimfin

Window Seals

Post by jimfin »

Hi Steve
I replaced my front widow rubbers last year. I forget the size rubber I got, but I might be able to find out during the week.
You could do it on your own but an extra pair of hands is always a help.
Taking out:- Remove the rubber insert in the main rubber. You can push the window into the boat or out from the inside. This is where the extra pair of hand would be a help.
Refitting:- Fit the new rubber around the window frame. Be sure you cut the rubber square where the 2 ends meet. Clean around the window frame on the boat and insert the window with the new rubber around it. This can be a bit fiddely. Put some good black rubber window sealer between the rubber and the glass fiber of the boat.
I recomend getting the propper tool for the next bit of the job. About
pollyc

Window Seals

Post by pollyc »

Steve,

There is a very reliable firm on the canal called River Glass.
The bloke's name is Aidrian - send me a message if you need his number.

He has replaced 4 of our window seals (including the two front windows), and did a good job. I didn't have the bottle to try it myself !

Geoff
stevew

Window Seals

Post by stevew »

Thanks for your responses Jim and Geoff.
Jim if you could get hold of the rubber section size during the week that would be very useful - thanks in advance for your help.
Geoff what sort of budget price would you expect for River Glass to replace the front windows (if you dont mind me asking)?
Cheers
Steve
williamro

Window Seals

Post by williamro »

I employed a window contractor to do mine but he made an awful mess of it and windows kept leaking. I am not sure that he used correct sizes of rubber. He, perhaps lazily, said that there were no other sizes available. I drew his attention to Seals Direct website and eventually persuaded him to return and redo using sealant as website suggests. There are now many fewer leaks and I am sealing any that are there with gradual application of liquid rubber which seeks out cracks.

Important to use correct size rubbers. Look at website it is very informative. Company is called Seals Direct Ltd.

William
riverdance

Window Seals

Post by riverdance »

Thanks for that info, I think nearly everyon has at some time had a window leak. I still have a leak but for the life of me cannot find it.
pollyc

Window Seals

Post by pollyc »

Steve,

I'm really sorry, I can't be exact.
I think that
stevew

Window Seals

Post by stevew »

Thanks for the comments.
Captain Tolleys "Creeping Crack Cure" is a miracle solution for resolving some of the smaller leaks that are difficult to find. I regularly use it, very successfully, to keep my worn rubbers sealed. http://www.captaintolley.com/

William - thanks for your comments, ref seal sizes, that makes me even more certain that I need to ensure the sections are correct.

Pollyc - thanks for the offer of Adrian
pollyc

Window Seals

Post by pollyc »

Sorry about your experiences with Aidrian. I know a number of people on Bridge House Marina have used him.

As for Capt Tolley - yup I swear by him for all of my creeping cracks !

Good luck

Geoff
dolphin

Window Seals

Post by dolphin »

Thanks for all these posts about replacing window seals. It's my next job for Dolphin. I've looked at the for Seals Direct and I'm going to get some practice by replacing the kitchen window seals first. Have you got any tips for me?

John HB