Anyone know the height above waterline of a 27?

You can talk about anything here
soapy

Post by soapy »

The subject line says it all really!

Come 24th March we taking Our Eden down to the Leeds and Liverpool and setting off for a 5-6 week cruise - L&L, Leigh Branch, Bridgewater, Trent and Mersey, Macclesfield, Huddersfield and back across the L&L again. I'm just a bit concerned as I've been told the clearance we have up on the Lancaster is greater than elsewhere. And, I'm thinking about all those tunnels we've got to go through.

If you happen to spot us along the way, give us a shout and come have a drink.

Rita and David Hudson

PS. Not being lazy, just info pronto for planning, Soapy
terrapin

Post by terrapin »

Hi Soapy.good luck on your voyage. I've done the full length of the L & L , T & M, and most of the Macc. No problems with bridges or tunnels, tho you need to lower the windscreen and canopy to be on the safe side if you dont have a steady hand thru the tunnels on the T & M. This includes Preston Brook, Saltersford, Barnton, and of course the Harecastle at Kidsgrove..on the T & M no problems anywhere there. On the L & L, only a couple of short but BIG tunnels, no clearance problems.As regards the Huddersfield. definately NOT recommended to go thru Standedge tunnel..tooo long and far to risky for a fibreglass cruiser of any size. Some of the lock gates on the T & M have to be watched as it is possible to hit the "walk over" boards with the corner of your windscreen, and maybe a slight height problem at a couple of bridges near the locks at Etruria near Stoke on Trent. But all depends on the height of your canopy. Nothing you can't overcome with a little care, but definately a trip worth taking. If you need anymore help, e-mail me.
soapy

Post by soapy »

Thanks Terrapin,

It was only last Sunday (20th) that I decided to download the booking form for Standedge. I was a bit miffed when I then (and only then) discovered that all GRP and petrol driven boats are disallowed from Standedge. It's a bit late to tell us, that is, when we are getting ready to book passage.

The heads-up on the T&M is useful - pity I haven't got a moveable screen, without unbolting the thing, that is!!! Once again the information given on various 'official' sites is misleading. Waterscape say there is 2.33M (about 7'8") clearance on the entire section, however when I rang to check I was told 5'9". Who is right I wonder? In the end one of the managers said he would personally go and measure the height of the guage above water and ring me back - I wonder if I'll ever hear from him???

In the end I rang Geoff Williamson, the contact for the Fradley Cruising Club. He didn't know the height either but was at least helpful in describing the boats he had personally sailed through over the years. He too suggested lowering the screen - am I going to have to alter my boat just for this trip? What a pain!

The way things are looking, I can imagine myself NOT going anywhere. I'll make the effort to keep posting as I get results.

Thanks for the information,
Soapy (Our Eden)
soapy

Post by soapy »

I forgot to add that I measured the height above water to the top of the windscreen as 2.1M (7'0"), just in case anyone wants to know without getting the old stick of inches out.

Soapy
watsmoor

Post by watsmoor »

I wouldn't worry about the overall height as it will be the corners that hit! As to unbolting you are only talking about 5 minutes and it is done and no worries about damaged screens.
Happy boating
Watsmoor
soapy

Post by soapy »

Thanks Watsmore,

We're going over tomorrow to de-winterise (if there is such a word?) and shake down from winter before our cruise - the icicles hanging from the ceiling last time should have gone by now! I'll have a go at removing the screen, hoping you're right about it being easy enough.

Soapy (Our Eden)