Watermotor Carburettor

You can talk about anything here
trickydicky

Watermotor Carburettor

Post by trickydicky »

Hi all,
This is Rich from First Light moored in EMEB near Kegworth.
I suspect I have a problem with the the carburettor on my engine recently. The carb has recently been overhauled due an erratic running problem I have had for ages but since re-fitting it still doesn't run as it should. The carb is a webber single choke downdraught type and I'm not sure if this is correct for the engine. I haven't owned the boat that long and there is some doubt about whether the engine is 1100 or 1300 cc. Is there any easy way of telling as there are no obvious signs on the engine itself?

Thanks
RichC
lazyoldriverer

Watermotor Carburettor

Post by lazyoldriverer »

High RichC

I seem to remember that when I was a Lad that Ford used Solex Carbs but the Boy racers changed them to Weber, so it should be compatible.

I can not find out a specification for the Ford Watermoter, but I might not be Googling right and there were references to High compression and Low Compression engines (Car and Van).

I did find

http://www.freemancruiser.co.uk/hints.htm#engineprobs1

and as Freemans are contemporary with Nauticus (Well Almost)

and

http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/weber_dcoe_carbs.htm

May Help
Good Luck
ericwt

Watermotor Carburettor

Post by ericwt »

Hi RichC,

I have the Ford Service Manuals for the 2260/2270 range of industrial engines, which covers the Watermota. It cover three carburettor types, the Motorcraft 1V and the Weber 2V (manual and automatic choke.

The Motorcraft is a single venturi and the Weber are twin venturi. If yours is a single venturi then it is probably the Motorcraft or a retro fitted alternative.

If you would like copies of the pages from the manual let me know?

Eric
Lazy Days
trickydicky

Watermotor Carburettor

Post by trickydicky »

Thanks Eric,
The carb is a Webber but didn't look like the one in the Ford manual that I had so I eventually took it to DB Carburetters ( highly recommended ) in Nottingham. Someone had fitted the choke mechanism the wrong way round and had bodged the linkage as well. Anyway apparently it is correct for the Watermotor engine and after some further tweaking she seems to be running fine now. There's always something............

By the way, the Freeman cruiser site is also recommended, I managed to get some useful bits from them and found them really helpful.

Thanks for the tip and if you need help on replacing the rubbing strakes let me know.

Best Regards
thingy