Transa-Drive Stern drive

You can talk about anything here
woodsy

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by woodsy »

Hi again,
I still have not solved my Transa-Drive problem, and this being the only place that appears to have anyone who knows anything about them I thought I would try one more time. The steering swivel has only very little movement, probably about 10 degrees it moves freely for this limited amount then you can force it the rest of the way but the shaft does not move with it, any Ideas why?
The other thing is the wind up socket does not move, I have sheared the pins off the winder trying to get this to move in the manual it lists a worm lock plate item 106 but I can find nothing on my unit does this mean it is a MK2 ? any help much appreciated. does any one know of anywhere that can fix these things in the north west ?

Regards, Kevin
waterdude

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by waterdude »

hi Kevin,
you say you can force it the rest of the way but the saft does not move with it. which shaft does not move ? I'm guessing you mean the main vertical pivot pin that the unit steers/pivots on. Best guess is the pin is partialy siezed. I think the reason you are getting approx 10 degrees is that the pin is only fixed in the yoke by the reverse interlock claw pivot pin. This is an out of water repair. They are quite simple, but some mechanical know how is handy. I replaced my pin with s/steel and turned new bushes from Derlin (think that's how it's spelt). If you do try DIY, take care parts are CRAZY prices.
ATB Keith
woodsy

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by woodsy »

Thanks for the info Keith, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet on this one and dismantle it and see what happens, I can't believe how little information there is about these drives, thanks for replying.
rob

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by rob »

Hi all,
like Woodsy I'm 'blessed' with a transadrive (mine is from the 'T' Range) on my boat. Are there any maintenance manuals on this Z drive? Can anyone tell me what propellor it will take, as I got pushed aside on some rocks by a commercial vessel. Any info on the unit will be greatly appreciated. Oh, I already had to replace the ball and stud on the steering part as it snapped in two just above the ball. I got a replacement from Silette-Sonic and they had it in my mail (In Holland) for 18 quid in less then 4 days! Awesome service.
trickydicky

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by trickydicky »

Hi Kevin,

I can sympathise with your problem, I had a transadrive that continually gave problems and never did rotate properly. For your information I have a spare transom unit that I bought for my old Nauticus in good condition that works fine and rotates upwards as it should. I never got round to fitting it and I don't have the winder any more but it sounds like you have one anyway. It doesn't come with the gearbox but if you contact me I will send a picture to confirm compatability. Regarding the prop size I have another Nauticus now with an Enfield drive and that is a 14x10 LH, I assume that the Transadrive is similar. A good check would be to contact Bob Knowles in Leicester, they have details on what size they should be. Alternatively, Steel Developments in London will repair and balance your prop in a matter of days for around
woodsy

Transa-Drive Stern drive

Post by woodsy »

Thanks Rich, PM sent. Please reply by PM as I don't get on this forum that often.

Regards, Kevin.