rudders

You can talk about anything here
lyndel

rudders

Post by lyndel »

Hi there,we have got an enfield leg fitted to Lyndel and find that the steering can be a bit sluggish at times especially when going slow so we have bought a secondhand rudder off ebay.
Has anybody out there got a rudder fitted and if so does it make a difference to the handling or have we wasted our money?
Cheers Derek & Lyn
riverdance

rudders

Post by riverdance »

Never heard of a rudder being fitted alongside an outdrive. I've found, even in my limited experience, that boats tend to be sluggish to respond to the steering when in low revs. I usually give the engine a quick "blip" which tends to correct the steering. Still, I'd be interested in hearing how you go on. If there's no marked improvement you can always put it back on e-bay
lyndel

rudders

Post by lyndel »

Thanks for the quick reply riverdance,but I obviously didn't explane myself clearly.
The rudder fits on to the outdive behind the prop.
We have seen these on outdrives before but have yet to find a boat with the owner to ask the question.
Cheers Derek & Lyn
riverdance

rudders

Post by riverdance »

Ahh, I see.

Riverdance has a rudder attached to the outdrive just as you explained. But as I said previously I still need a "blip" on the revs when manouvering at just above tick-over (entering locks etc), however the steering at normal speeds seems ok to me, quite responsive in fact, but, not having steered the boat without one I can't realy judge. I'm sure it will make a difference though........perhaps;0)
lazyoldriverer

rudders

Post by lazyoldriverer »

Dulcinea has an adda rudder, with "wings" cant remember the correct word, The engineer said "thats the biggest addarudder i have ever seen"

A google shows the type of implement (without "wings")

http://www.kingsmarine.co.uk/Outboard_Rudder.htm

However it was there so I dont know how she behaves without it.

TerryR

anti cavitation plate may be
Last edited by lazyoldriverer on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watsmoor

rudders

Post by watsmoor »

Hi,
I have the 'normal' large cavitation plate on Watsmoor and don,t find steering a problem - requires more of a blip when approaching on port (engine torque).
I previously had an Adda-rudder on a Micro plus with a 15HP Johnson and 'outed' it rapidly
Watsmoor