Oil Change

You can talk about anything here
shauntipton

Oil Change

Post by shauntipton »

Just wondered if anyone had experiance at changing the oil in a watermota Petrol engine. The only way I can think of draining the oil is to somehow pump it out of the dipstick??? Is that possible?
pollyc

Oil Change

Post by pollyc »

Just thought I would pop back to see what's happening ... and here's something that I can help with.

We used to change the oil on PollyC through the dipstick using a Pela Pump.
This is basically a vaccuum device, with a probe that leads into a tough plastic globe, with a stirrup type pump on top. Once the engine is warm (a 5 minute run should do), drop the probe from the Pela pump down the dipstick, and then work the handle. This sucks all of the air out of the globe which in turn sucks the oil out of the engine and collects it. Once you have emptied the sump (you will hear a noise like sucking on an empty McDonald's drink), you will be able to see how much oil you have collected, and thus how much needs to be replaced. The waste oil can then be very cleanly disposed of.

This is really a great piece of kit - useful too for sucking water out of any inaccessible bilge space should you need to (such as underneath the engine). The following web site gives you more details on the pump : http://www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?a10page=pl6000.

It should costabout
lazyoldriverer

Oil Change

Post by lazyoldriverer »

I Second this, the Guy that did mine used one, i showed him the Boats Brass Hand pump that was in one of the lockers and he said it would work but might take a couple of hours!!

The unit he used was just like the link, got the Engine to working Temperature, made a cup of Coffe and drunk it.
Then sucked it out one long suck and then decant into Canal, sorry Can, all to get rid of responsibly
shauntipton

Oil Change

Post by shauntipton »

thanks for that just about to order one That is brill