Starting Problems & Battery Capacity

You can talk about anything here
ericwt

Post by ericwt »

Anyone got any hints for getting a recalcitrant Watermota (2261E HC) to start after a winter of idleness?

2 weeks ago River Canal Rescue took an hour and half to get it to fire having checked all the usual places (points, distributor, timing, battery, plugs, leads etc) all showing a good spark.

Went up yesterday with a new battery and couldn't get it to fire and flattened the battery in the process. So any ideas would be welcome?

Also does anyone know the correct power of starter battery? My Ford service manual just says 'a battery of a suitable type'!!
RCR also advised that the distributor cap and rotor arm were wearing and should be replaced soon. Are they easily obtainable?

Thanks for your help.
Eric
Lazy Days - Gayton marina
pollyc

Post by pollyc »

Sorry to hear about your starting problems Eric, we have gone through a series of similar trials getting PollyC started. We currently have a 55AH battery reserved for starting, maintained via a Waeco Mobitronic battery charger.

However we have also problem solved the following issues you might like to check out:

1. Damp - use of damp start over the distributor and points to make sure that moisture is not an issue.

2. Checking of the fuel to make sure that water has not got in through the deck filler. Resolved through the use of 'Dri-Fuel' additive and the installation of metal fuel filter and moisture trap.

3. Strip down and clean of carburretor and jets to remove 'gunk' and debris that has been sucked through the fuel system from the tank, and lodging within the carb (the fuel filter helps to make sure that this doesn't happen again).

4. Change of points, condenser and distributor cap (standard kit, available from motor factor).

5. Change of ignition coil (watch that the cable release for the oultleg pin is not shorting out the terminals of the coil)

6. If fuel starvation is an issue, try priming the bowl of the carburretor with petrol before trying to start the engine. This should give enough revs to allow the fuel pump to prime the system and draw new petrol into the engine

Overall, my understanding is that the watermota is a derivitive of the Ford cross-flow engine (similar to that which was installed in early Cortinas). As such, any spare parts should be easy to come by.

Good luck - let me know how you get on

Geoff
Last edited by pollyc on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericwt

Post by ericwt »

Geoff,

Thanks for the advice, I'll try your suggestions. Takes me back to my early motoring days with a Mk2 Cortina!!

Eric